Healthcare in the past involved visiting a doctor at the hospital. However, this has changed over the years, with simple health issues getting handled online. You don’t need to take time off and visit a doctor on a minor health matter. Health problems like acne can easily be consulted over the internet and prescription offered.
This is the case for aging men that face many health conditions. Some of the common health conditions men face as they age include erectile dysfunction, hair loss, aging skin, and much more. These are conditions most men are shy to talk about. And that’s precisely why HIMS was developed.
What is HIMS?
Hims is an online healthcare provider that focuses on men’s health. It is a reliable healthcare service that promises to tackle health issues that face most men. Medical services at HIMS are aimed at male sexual health issues, hair loss, aging, skincare, and other conditions that affect men with age.
The company has grown over the years and is expanding to offer online therapy services. The company provides primary healthcare to men through telemedicine. Hims Inc was launched in 2017 and later joined by its sister company the Hers, a year later. It is a Telemedicine company where users provide doctors with their health information for diagnosis and prescription.
Doctors at Hims are qualified and certified to provide consultation and, if possible, prescription. Users can then buy the prescribed medicine on the website or at their local pharmacies. However, prices for drugs on the website are much lower than what is available at most pharmacies.
What is Hims Erectile Dysfunction, ED Treatments?
Erectile dysfunction is one of the major problems facing men in their old ages. While there are many treatments aimed at ED, Hims offers several supplements and medications that promise to treat ED. There are a total of 5 medications by Hims approved by the Food and Drug Administration, FDA to treat ED. While most ED treatments are expensive, Hims offered generic versions of some well-known ED drugs like Cialis and Viagra at a much lower cost.
While these medicines are cheaper, they are still effective and very safe. They have undergone rigorous trial processes and certified as safe. The following are the available ED treatments at Hims that come in the form of a pill.
- Sildenafil: This is an active ingredient of Viagra. The medicine is sold as a generic for ED medication and comes in the same dose.
- Viagra: You also get Viagra doses in generic form, coming in the doses of 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg. The doses are safe and last men 2 to 5 hours.
- Tadalafil: This is the active ingredient in Cialis. It is sold as a generic ED drug and comes in the same dose as the original Cialis drug.
- Cialis: The Company sells Cialis in doses of 2.5mg, 5mg, and 10mg, which can last you up to 26 hours.
- Stendra (avanafil): The drug is also available in doses of 50mg, 100mg, and 200mg. The drugs can last you up to 6 hours.
Hims also sells medications for premature ejaculation. The two drugs available on the company are:
- Premature ejaculation spray: This is a spray that contains lidocaine as the active ingredient. The spray helps reduce the sensitivity of the penis, reducing premature ejaculation.
- Sertraline: Sertraline is an active ingredient found in the anti-depressant Zoloft. The medication is available in doses of 25 mg, 50mg, and 100mg.
For most men, the combination of ED treatment and premature ejaculation drugs can greatly improve their sexual life. However, Hims does not just offer the treatment without proper checkups and diagnosis. Some licensed physicians ask for your medical history and symptoms before they can prescribe any medicine. This way, the prescriptions offered online are safe and appropriate for your health condition.
How do Hims medications work?
ED medications from Hims are aimed at helping men achieve and maintain erections. There are three major active ingredients in the Hims medications, which work in different ways. Each ingredient type is a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor. Here is how the 3 different ingredients work:
Active ingredient Tadalafil
The active ingredient tadalafil is grouped in class PDE5 of drugs and works by relaxing the muscles in the blood vessels. This ensures there is an increased flow of blood to the penis. With increased blood flow to the penis, it becomes easier for men to achieve and maintain an erection for a long time. Unlike other active ingredients, tadalafil tends to stay in the blood for long.
The ingredient takes 4 to 5 days to be active. The downside of this ingredient is the extended side effects.
Active ingredient Sildenafil
The drug falls in the same PDE5 class of drugs and works in the same manner as the tadalafil active ingredient. However, results are faster with the drug-taking 30 to 60 minutes to show results. You need to use the drug at least 30 to 60 minutes before any sexual activity for optimal results. Unlike most ED drugs, sexual stimulation is still required for this ingredient to work. The effectiveness of the drug will diminish in about two hours.
Active Ingredient Avanafil
The active ingredient is found in Stendra. It is a new PDE5 inhibitor with a very fast-acting period. The ingredient is more like Sildenafil but has a short effectiveness duration than tadalafil. Results can be seen in a short period of 15 minutes, with effectiveness lasting longer.
Pros and Cons of Hims for ED
Hims treatment for ED is usually the right choice for most men. The medicine is appropriate for persons with a complex medical history. However, that does not come without its cons.
Pros of Hims for ED
- Convenience: The Company offers a convenient way to treat and prescribe medicine for its patients. The website is user-friendly and takes users in a clear step-by-step process. Symptoms are explained to physicians. A patient’s medical history and symptoms and then evaluated before a plan for ED treatment and prescription is offered.
- Timely service: The response from the company is quite fast. All users that enter their information get a response within 24 hours, taking away appointment times to see a doctor. Medicine deliveries also occur within a week of placing an order.
- Flexible: It is a flexible service accessed online without physical interactions with physicians. You can place orders at any time of the day and night.
- Enhanced privacy: Interactions with Hims are private and confidential. You get a consultation in the comfort of your home.
Cons of ED treatments
- Lacks in-person appointments: While online interactions are still convenient, most patients still prefer physical physician interactions. This service is not available on this site.
- Not enough long-term clinician support: The service lacks a way of building a long-term relationship with your clinician or physician. Persons looking for ongoing care and support might not get it from Hims.
- Cursory doctor interactions: There are higher chances of doctors identifying health concerns of patients when having physical interactions. This is not the case with Hims. Doctors can easily miss a health issue because they lack one-on-one physical interactions.
- Online information and payment: Hims offers excellent privacy, offering patients services. However, you’re still required to provide personal information like names, home address, date of birth, scanned photo ID, and medical history.
- Costs: This service is usually not covered by most insurance and medical plans. You might end up paying extra medical costs for services covered in your health insurance.
Are there any safety concerns?
Like most drugs, there are a few side effects that users might experience. Some of the side effects for Hims ED treatments include:
- Flushing of the face
- Nasal congestion
When used as prescribed, Hims ED treatments are quite safe. However, it is advised that you share any information about other medications and cardiovascular health issues with your physician before using Hims.
Other Hims services
The company has expanded over the years and offers several other services. These services include online comparison tools for pharmacies near you, telemedicine, surgery, injections, and subscription services.
In conclusion, the Hims service is an excellent online healthcare provider that meets the healthcare needs of most men. It is a safe and confidential way to treat most healthcare issues that affect men. Hims provide ease of access, convenience, and privacy when getting ED medications. While in-person visits are still great, most men prefer low-key ways to get effective treatment, and that’s what HIMs do.